Thursday 7 April 2011

Oranges and Sunshine with some books

I went to the cinema all by myself today. One time when we went to the movies together, Boyfriend didn't particularly like one of the trailers. I could see that it wasn't his type of the movie. I, on the other hand, was very eager to go. Because there's a lower price for the tickets from Monday to Thursday before 5pm, I decided to go today. The movie is called Oranges and Sunshine, has very good reviews in The Times and Time Out. It tells the story of Margaret Humphreys, a social worker from Nottingham, who uncovered one of the most significant social scandals in recent times: the forced migration of children from the United Kingdom. Almost singlehandedly, against overwhelming odds and with little regard for her own well-being, Margaret reunited thousands of families, brought authorities to account and worldwide attention to an extraordinary miscarriage of justice. She discovered a secret that the British government had kept hidden for years: more than 130,000 children in care had been sent abroad to commonwealth countries, mainly Australia. Children as young as four had been told that their parents were dead, and been sent to children's homes on the other side of the world. Many were subjected to appalling abuse. They were promised oranges and sunshine, they got hard labour and life in institutions. There were very people in the auditorium, but after the last scene everyone went silent and there were sniffs during the projection. The saddest thing is that it was completely hushed and only recently British and Australian governments had the decency to apologize.

I had a lovely lunch in at the Soho Square - just like last week. The weather is so perfect, the sun is shining and all the news are screaming that UK is hotter than the Mediterranean! I sat for more than hour with my Pret-a-Manger sandwich (with some mustard - I forgot how mustard tastes!), latte (again, mostly milk than coffee) and Time Out. I scouted few new interesting exhibitions and wrote them down in my little notepad. I was sitting back to the sun and my neck is now sunburnt. 




Because it's not in my style to be at Tottenham Court Road and not to go to the bookstores, I went to Blackwell's. They have "3 for 2" offer. Of course I bought three books: Imperial Bedrooms by Bret Easton Ellis, The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas and The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. I'm looking forward to read them, they seem mucho interesting!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...