Sunday 16 January 2011

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Yesterday we ventured to the outside world - finally - after all the illnesses, fevers and bad cough. I was so happy! We went to see The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I am a MAJOR fan of the books. I got them as a Christmas present from my uncle when I was six years old. I was reading them all the time throughout the years and I love them! The books are pure magic. I am fortunate to have them in two big hardcover editions, which are sturdy and full of the coloured original illustrations. I remember that there was a time when I was reading all stories so often, that I've known them by heart. My personal favourite is The Horse and His Boy, which I have also in English, French and I also recently purchased one copy in Spanish - I am mad! But I know the story by heart, I know all the sentences and it's a good way to learn a language - to read something you know so well - only in a "slightly" different manner. 

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - the movie - was of course made in a Hollywood style. There were some over the top scenes, but in the end - I liked it. Of course, as a usual practice, they've altered the storyline and bended it for better filming, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I was really impressed by the fact that they've managed to actually insert a meaning into a movie - we can see the internal struggles of the characters and how they are giving in or how they are trying to fight with them. I was surprised by it, because the book differs in that respect - it's more about the journey, while the movie is about different journey - the one which takes you to the darkest places of your own mind and soul. So, now I am very interested in watching Black Swan.

Today I wanted to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (I am SO behind), but because Boyfriend has (so far) a mild attack of the kidney stones, we've stayed inside. I also wanted to see two exhibitions in the National Gallery, but this also had to be postponed for the next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...