Saturday 29 January 2011

Day full of art

Today we finally went to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1. The movie was GREAT! Honestly, I was preparing for the worst, because I'm not a fan of the Harry Potter movies - I believe that the books are so much better. Of course, it was the same in this case, but after hearing some horrible reviews and moaning of my friends how they wanted their ticket money back, I can only say that they're all wrong. The storyline is almost the same as in books (one of the most important things for me) and even though some plots are not shown, I secretly hope that they will put it into extended edition or in the DVD extras. It was scary, it was magical, it was emotional. I was growing up with these books and reading them on the planes, in New York, Poland and London, so maybe that's why they have a special place in my heart.

After the cinema we went to Wagamama, but I wasn't really in the mood for it, so I didn't eat much. Then we decided to go and see the exhibition I was DYING to see in a National Portrait Gallery. It's Isabella Blow by Noble and Webster. Isabella Blow was an English magazine editor and international style icon. She was the muse of the hat designer Philip Treacy, to whom she gave recognition and she has also discovered Alexander McQueen. So it's not a surprise that I was so disappointed. I was expecting her signature hats and dresses and all I got was this sculpture made of rats and crows, which - when underlit - shows Blow's profile.

That's all I got
This is the ONLY object in the tiny room, except a small board with Blow's life history. I was suspicious when I saw that the entry is free, but I would rather pay to see something special that this. To ease my pain we went to see three other exhibitions:  

From Where I Stand: Photographs by Mary McCartney (daughter of Paul McCartney)  - dsplay celebrates the publication of McCartney's first book, From Where I Stand, selected from her archive from the 1990s to the present and include photographs of Helen Mirren and Gwyneth Paltrow;

Ballet In Focus - collection of photographs and the richness and variety of dance on the British stage in the early decades of the twentieth century aka another disappointment;

Twentieth Century Portraits Photographs by Dmitri Kasterine - one of the most significant portrait photographers working in Britain from the late 1960s to the mid-1980s, the display presents a cross section of the most eminent cultural figures of the twentieth century like Samuel Beckett and Stanley Kubrick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...